Yes, that’s right! It’s almost summertime, well according to DAVIDsTEA anyway! Their summer collection was released today and let me tell you, it is PURE genius. All the flavours scream summertime, in fact I even had one of their new flavours as an iced tea. Is it time to bust out my shorts and prance around? Not so much… I live in Newfoundland, remember?!
ANYWAYS, the new flavours are awesome. Here they are:
- Pink Passionfruit (Herbal Tea)
- Tropicalia (Herbal Tea)
- Mango Fruit Punch (Herbal Tea) – I can’t have this one… I’m allergic to mangoes 😦
- Coconut Grove (White Tea)
- Mint Julep (Black Tea)
I purchased each one except for Mango Fruit Punch, but I have heard that it is unreal. I also nabbed a fancy Leakproof Iced Tea Tumbler and I am happy to report that it kept true to its word! No leaks coming from my tumbler.
I am usually skeptical in trying teas with chocolate as an ingredient, but I recently tried Read My Lips and it is very delicious. It tastes like the After Eight mints or the Mint Chocolate Girl Guide cookies. I purchased 50 grams of this flavour and I don’t think it will last a week in my house.
“Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea! How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea.”
― Sydney Smith, A memoir of the Rev. Sydney Smith
I know I’ve mentioned some of the benefits of tea, but I wanted to elaborate on the different kinds of teas and their benefits;
- White tea is the least processed of all teas and contains the highest antioxidant levels.
- It has a profound amount of power against cancer-causing cells and against different types of cancers.
- White tea has been found to work as a prescription drug and without all the side effects.
- It is known to reduce blood sugar and help prevent symptoms of diabetes.
- It is also known to reduce stress and increases energy levels.
White Tea Fun Facts by DAVIDsTEA: Made from fresh, young silver leaves and buds, this delicate tea is as close to the living tea bush as you can possibly get. White tea is loved for its light flavour and natural sweetness.
Green Tea (from my previous blog Eat Clean AKA Tasty Tuesdays!)
- Green tea protects our bones. A study was conducted and compared tea drinkers vs. non-drinkers and it was uncovered that those who drank tea for several years had stronger bones (taking several things into account such as body weight, exercise, smoking and other risk factors.)
- Green Tea is calorie free – Enough said!
- Tea can help increase ones metabolism. Green tea is known to increase the metabolic rate and can help you burn up to 70 to 80 calories a day, just from consuming several cups of green tea.
- It helps prevent cancer. The antioxidants found in tea are known for their cancer-fighting effects.
Green Tea Fun Facts by DAVIDsTEA: After water, green tea is the most consumed drink on the planet. From vegetal pan-fired Chinese greens to sweet, buttery steam-heated Japanese greens, there are a ton of amazing flavours to explore.
- Oolong tea helps reduce cholesterol build-up in the bloodstream.
- It is known to help prevent heart ailments.
- It promotes longevity by stimulating bodily functions and strengthens the immune system and has been used as a treatment for digestive disorders.
- It helps fight against tooth decay.
- It has potassium content and has a considerable content of the L-Theanine Amino Acid.
Oolong Tea Fun Facts by DAVIDsTEA: Oolong tea is somewhere between a black and a green, with a world of variations. The eaves are tightly rolled or twisted so they slowly unfurl in your cup. Try steeping your oolongs multiple times, “gung fu” style.
- Black tea saves arteries and prevents deadly clogging and reverses poor arterial functioning that can trigger heart attacks and strokes.
- It tames inflammation and is known to have an anti-cancer compound and suppresses the Cox-2 gene that triggers inflammation.
- Black tea and green tea have the same amount of antioxidants.
- It is known to neutralize germs.
Black Tea Fun Facts by DAVIDsTea: There’s a whole world of amazing black teas to explore. Like delicate, woodsy Darjeeelings from northern India. Rich, robust breakfast teas from Kenya. Or wild-growing leaves from China’s Yunnan province.
- Pu’erh tea is known to lower blood cholesterol levels.
- It has also been used to invigorate the spleen.
- It is used to boost the flow of blood and helps enhance circulation.
- It helps heal aches and pains especially with arthritic patients.
- It aids in fighting off unwanted toxins.
Pu’erh Tea Fun Facts by DAVIDsTea: In China, earthy pu’erh has been used to aid digestion for over 1700 years. Its name comes from the ancient city of Pu’erh, a popular stop on the trade routes between China and the West.
- Maté’s are very rich in antioxidants, so much so that it has 90% more than green teas.
- It is known to enhance ones ability to focus because the chemical compounds and nutrients in maté affect the metabolism to make the body use carbohydrates more efficiently.
- It is also aids in weight loss because the maté stimulant qualities help one feel full sooner after one begins to eat. It slows down digestion and the stomach stays full longer.
Maté Fun Facts by DAVIDsTea: Super-energizing yerba maté is a South American drink of ancient origins. Guayusa, yerba maté’s Ecuadorian cousin, 2000 years of Amazonian tradition.
- Rooibos tea contains a great deal of antioxidant enzymes called Superoxide Dismutase.
- It is quite rich in the mineral zinc and a plays an important role in regulating the body’s immune system.
- It is high in thiamine, a water-soluble vtamin that the body uses to utilize carbohydrates as an energy source. And is even known as a natural sports drink.
* MY random Fun Fact: It is grouped under the term “Red Tea”, because get this… It’s RED!
Rooibos Tea Fun Facts by DAVIDsTEA: This taste, caffeine-free infusion comes from the rooibos plant, a small shrub that can only be found in a tiny region of South Africa. It’s a super hydrating, naturally sweet choice, said to be packed with antioxidants.
- Herbal tea helps one achieve a calm, relaxed state of mind.
- It aids in heart health and helps circulation throughout the body.
- It has cleansing properties for the body and helps with stomach and digestive problems.
- It has also nutrients that promotes energy and wellness.
Herbal Tea Fun Facts by DAVIDsTea: WHen it comes to herbal infusions, we like to let out imaginations run wild – seriously, anything goes. We carry infusions of just about everything you can imagine, from classic tsianes to the latest super-fruits.
I know what you’re all thinking, I should be a spokesperson for DAVIDsTEA. What? You’re not? Oh, well I wish I was so lucky!! I could drink DAVIDsTea all day long.
In Sundays blog post, I mentioned that I was going to attempt overnight oats. I did make them, but they were an epic fail. I don’t have a proper recipe to share. Once I have perfected them, I will share the recipe/photos with all of you.
On Sunday, I was feeling particularly homesick and wanted to be with my mom on Mother’s Day. She encouraged me to go for a drive and get lost on the rock. I did just that and it was such a beautiful day.
I went to Topsail Beach, Portugal Cove and Middle Cove Beach. If you’re ever in the St. John’s area, I highly recommend visiting those locations.
Newfoundland & the Atlantic Ocean
Moral of the story, when you’re feeling down in the dumps – go for a drive and get lost. You never know what beautiful places you will find along the way! Thanks Mom for the advice!
Dragonette is one of my favourite artists, they are so unique and are known for their electronic music. And, they’re Canadian to boot!
Don’t forget to follow me on: